Student Information

Like most teens, you're probably eager to get behind the wheel and experience the freedom of being an unrestricted driver. As you probably know, the State of Pennsylvania has a graduated licensing program, which means there are a couple of steps you need to take before you are fully-licensed driver. We're here to help walk you through those steps.

Step One: Get your Junior Learner's Permit

You have to be at least 16 years old before you can apply for your junior learner's permit. You will apply at your local PennDOT branch and with you bring:

  • Completed Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application
  • Completed Parent or Guardian Consent Form
  • Proof of your Identity
  • Your Social Security Card
  • $35.50 for the fee

Once you're at the PennDOT, you'll be asked to pass a knowledge test and vision exam.

Step Two: Get your Junior Driver's License/Provisional License

Alright! Now that you've got some experience under your belt, you're ready for your Junior Driver's License. For this step, you'll need to:

  • Have held your PA learner's permit for at least 6 months
  • Have completed 65-hours of behind-the-wheel practice
    • 10-hours must be completed at night
    • 5-hours must be completed in bad weather

This time you need to take a driving test at your local PennDOT branch, which you can schedule online at the PennDOT website or by phone at (800) 423-5542. Don't forget to bring:

  • Your completed Parent or Guardian Certification Form*
  • Proof of your car insurance and vehicle registration
  • Driver's license of your supervising driver

*Last thing, if you don't bring your parent or guardian with you to the test, make sure you get that form notarized.

Step Three: Get your Senior Driver's License

You're almost there. Whew. Now, in order to get an unrestricted license, also called a Senior Driver's License, also called a Regular Non-Commercial License, when you're 17½ years old, you have to:

  • Take a Driver Education course (like ours!)
  • Have had no driving violation within the last year
  • Have had no at-fault accidents within the last year
  • Have held your junior license for a year
  • Have the approval of your parent, guardian, or spouse

If you fit all the above, you can fill out and submit an Application for Change from a Junior Driver's License to a Regular Non-Commercial License form.